Monday, May 19, 2008

first blog ever in my life

This feels a little dangerous. I could write things that are indiscreet, or constitute information delivered too early to the actors, or are thoughts I haven't sufficiently prepared. Or I could write nothing of significance and waste the time of the reader. But then, this is all new to me and my leeriness is based on no less than that I don't know what is expected of me as a blogger. But why should I?

I'll say this (even though it's some thing I haven't yet figured out, but since I'm going to address it at the first rehearsal I'll say it now:) I don't know yet how to prepare the audience to witness a show that's only been rehearsed for two weeks. Since they are automatically accustomed to a certain quality of work that's in front of them, I feel that I have to protect the process, the show, the production, and the work from over-expectation. This is what I worry about today. But is it okay to let the actors know how much the director worries? These days I don't sleep well. I worry.

I didn't sleep last night. I worried. I was at a lovely room in an Inn, a beautiful, lovely old rambling inn, and I couldn't sleep. Worried about my ideas for this play. When I was an actor I assumed the Director knew everything. It's not true. I learned that lesson the first day I directed.

Design meetings tomorrow and the next day. They'll have ideas. Then I'll sleep. Now it's getting late and I should try to sleep. I'll try.

I don't know yet.... But I'll know then.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Manus said...

"When I was an actor I assumed the Director knew everything. It's not true." You see: this is FUNNY. Even if people know it's true, it's still funny. It's the simplicity of the thing.